Desk jobs have got to be one of the worst jobs to hold. I currently have one and I absolutely hate it, for a multitude of reasons:
- I have to sit all day, with minimal walking or exercise
- I eat bad food because I barely get a lunch break and the quickest thing to get besides bringing lunch is fast food
- I commute almost an hour and a half each day
- Customers, vendors and coworkers treat me with the most minimal respect
- No matter how hard I work or how often I prove myself to be capable of a task, I am still treated as though I do not know how to do said task
Maybe it’s just part of being a 19 year old in an office of over 30’s, but it’s frustrating. Especially when it feels like I’m contributing nothing to the greater good; I answer phones and emails, send invoices, open mail… Menial tasks really.
People my age would die to have a desk job but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be, in my opinion. But the lack of sunshine and exercise has really gotten to me in the year since I’ve started; I’ve lost weight (which I desperately don’t need to lose) and I’ve noticed my metabolism has changed. It makes me long for a job where I can sit in the sunshine for at least 10 minutes a day or just get up after the sun does.
And it’s draining being everyone’s doormat; having to constantly say yes m’am, sorry sir, one moment please, it makes me feel like I’m nothing better than a doormat that everyone can use and abuse as they please. So when I get off work, I feel completely drained and want to do nothing but lounge around and sleep. And I can’t even begin with how much I hate answering calls from my own coworkers, since more often than not they also treat me like a doormat; instead of giving me any form of basic respect, they rather get snippy and ride because I am unable to cater to their every whim.